Friday, April 09, 2010

Handspun Friday - handspun socks

Today just a quick post, and it's not handspun yarn, but socks made with my handspun, cabled yarn Chimera.

FatCatKnits Chimera -  BFL-550yds -6

I didn't like the finished yarn because how muddled the colors have become. Since then I've learned to understand the process of spinning/colors a little bit more.
finished Chimera handspun socks
Since the yarn itself is busy enough, I wanted to use a simple stitch pattern, but at the same time, I wanted to see how cables look with cabled yarn. I tried 4 different cable patterns, and in the end choose the simplest one a two stitch cable.

finished Chimera handspun socks

I still don't like the color, but I LOVE the feel of these socks in my hands. They feel heavy, but soft, and smooth. Very nice for socks.
Alright, got to go. Not much time, will explain soon.....

***

13 comments:

Michelle said...

I think the color looks better knit up into the socks. I wasn't sure if the cabled yarn would be too stiff for socks but they look good!

Frieda said...

I like the colour and your pattern is perfect for the yarn . Very nice as usual !

mono said...

I think the colours are just perfect! =)

Alexandra said...

I love the socks! The cables look very pretty :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

They look like lovely socks! I like socks in muted colors and with that pattern it all comes together perfectly! Enjoy :)

2paw said...

I think the socks themselves look lovely, and if they feel nice when you wear them, that is the main thing. Hope everything is OK??

RC said...

I have not successfully made a cabled yarn yet. yours looks nice and even better knit up! good pattern choice

Sharon said...

I totally get what you mean about the colors becoming muddy. That's what happened with my Dried Flowers. Still, your socks are lovely.

cici said...

I love the color and the pattern is great! great job♥

Anonymous said...

Those socks are STUNNING. Great job on them (the spinning and the knitting).

Walden said...

I understand your thoughts on the color, but as a lover of orange, I think they are quite lovely.

knottygnome said...

i really like how the socks turned out! i wouldn't have guessed they'd look like that.

Virginia G said...

I actually LOVE the color of those socks! They're so beautiful.