Monday, April 13, 2009
Ever since I saw Kirsten's first Dante's Purse I wanted to make one myself. I only got around to it now, but better late than never.
pattern: Dante's Purse by Kirsten Kapur (free download)
fabric: outside: cosmo barnyard, purlsoho , lining: local fabricland
yarn: multicolored experiment, handspun from previous post
hook: for base H (5mm)
needles: 4.5mm circular
size: 15inches high, base is 7.25 inches in diameter
start-finish: April 1-2
The only modification to the purse I made was the crochet base. It was so much fun to see it develop, I almost couldn't stop myself. I wanted to use up all the yarn I had, so the bag is a good size. I've got only a couple of yards left in the end. I didn't use an I-cord as drawstring either, just twisted the already cabled yarn. It could have been a few inches longer, but it's working as it is.
The hardest part of this was to sew the stretchy knit bag together with the inflexible fabric bag. I did it with my sewing machine, but first I had to pin it together. I found a big enough round plastic container, where I could slip it on and pin everything in place. That was the least favorite part. Everything else was very fun to do.
It was easy to follow Kirsten's instructions, even though there was MATH ! involved. It was fun, you get to decide how big the bag is going to be. I'm sure this was not the last one I made.
There's nothing else to say about it, just to enjoy!