Friday, February 13, 2009

500th post!!!

Can you believe it? This is my 500th post. But it's still Handspun Friday here!

Back in December I ordered Santa Claus to come in form of fiber, and bring some Candy Cane's too! :o)

Santa and Candy Cane

It's not a secret that I can't spin thick yarn. (I just tried it again yesterday, and it was a disaster.) What else can you do, so you don't end up with lace-or sock yarn all the time? I think 4-ply is fun! Too bad, that I spun one bobbin slightly thicker than all the others, so I ran out early on that one, which left me with singles on 3 bobbins. After some head scratching, I decided to navajo ply the rest. It makes a huge difference, don't you think?


fiber: Finn, colorway Santa and Candy Cane, 4oz each by SockPixie (I really don't like giving you this link, because if I could I would buy ALL her colorways myself) She's got not only fiber, but yarn as well. You should visit her blog to read up on all the wonderful colorways you've missed. I like her inspired way of dyeing yarn and now fiber too.



yarn: big skein - 4-ply, 163yds, little skein - 87yds navajo plied; I like how both of them look.



I haven't done the WPI thing, don't want to undo the skeins, but the 4-ply is either heavy worsted, or chunky weight, and the navajo plied skein is worsted weight yarn.

19 comments:

lexa said...

Gorgeous yarn! Congrats on your 500th post! :)

GoldenTracks said...

WooHoo! 500 posts! Wow!
Really pretty yarn. Who cares if it's always sock or lace? Look how many things you can make with it.

MeowGirl said...

yum!! the color effects are so dramatically different, they shock my eyes a little.

thanks for sharing the fiber source, teehee.

Anonymous said...

Woot! 500! and 500 more, please!! :o) I really love the colors of this yarn. I like how crisp they are in the Navajo skein. It will make a great accent to compliment what you knit with the main yarn, don't you think? To make a thick yarn have you considered making a cabled 4-ply like in Spin Off Spring 2008? I've got some blue superwash I'm thinking of trying it on.... eventually! LOL!!

Rosina said...

Congratulations on you 500th post :)
Isn't it fun to see how different yarn can look plyed two different ways? And both ways it looks great!

Yarn Devil said...

Wow! Congrats on 500! I loove that yarn!!! Beautiful stuff! Thank you for the link too.. she has gorgeous stuff!!

momsue84 said...

Congrats on your 500th post. Keep 'em coming! Beautiful handspun!

Dave said...

They both look wonderful -- very festive! Happy 500!!!

Claudia Bugh said...

Congratulations on your 500th post! The blogashere is a better place for your contributions and that's for sure!!!

Wonderful spinning and the colorway is gorgeous. I'll be anxious to see what you make with the 4 ply. Maybe a tea cozy? I haven't seen you make one of those, I don't believe :)

punkin said...

Beautiful! I like the colors.

Congratulations on 500! I have enjoyed many of those posts.

Angelika said...

One thing's for sure, I'll never catch up to your post count. I need to get my lazy butt in gear and blog again, I know. The yarn reminds me of strawberries with just a little green on top. Ice cream anyone?

Anonymous said...

Pretty yarn!

Congratulations on your 500th post!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Of course it's fairly safe to say that I'll love anything pink. I think I looked at her shop a long time ago and it was probably empty. Now I'll have to see if I can get some of her roving sometime. Something pink of course! And Happy 500! Woohoo!

GoldenTracks said...

just thought I'd let ya know the book came today. perhaps it will keep me from overloading my queue until I can knit again.

Strickfimmel said...

Ich gratuiliere Dir zum 500sten Post. Ich kann gar nicht glauben, dass es schon so viele sind.

Anonymous said...

This yarn looks lovely! Nice colours.

Congratulations on your 500th post. I hope to read a lot more of them!

Beverly said...

Congrats on number 500. I look forward to many more.

sgeddes said...

Love it! The colors are nice and they look good together too.

Congratualtions on 500 posts! I'm hoping for at least 500 more :)

Kim said...

WOW! 500 posts...Congratulations, but I feel like us readers are the lucky ones! I love your handspun and vow to navajo ply...someday.