Monday, November 10, 2008

Trip to Austria - Part 4

Oh boy, I hope you are still with me! I was only away for a week, and there's so much to show. I can't possibly show it in one or two or three, but more posts. It will come to an end eventually. :o)This is my sock knitting grandmother (87). She's wearing a mohair capelet I've knit for her. She's always feeling cold, unless she's got hot flashes. ;o) We both knit a pair of socks during the time I visited.

I made three of these capelettes, the pattern is free by Mary Jane Protus, very fun and easy and fast to knit. The top, blue capelet was made with a 90% mohair 10% Polyamide yarn, and was for my grandmother. The other two I made with yarn my mom sent me some time ago, which was the other way around 10% mohair, 90% acrylic. Not my favorite stuff to knit with. My mom kept the redish one, and she'll find someone for the pink one, I'm sure.


I was surprised to learn that my godmother is a sock knitter too! I haven't seen her in many years. Never knew she's a knitter. I would have brought some sock yarn for her otherwise. I think she liked her scarf. She said, she was gifted with knitting only once before. I'm not sure baby blue is her color though.


My mother had invited my sister in laws, so they could meet their brother and me. Those ladies have wagging tongues, I tell you. I almost fell of my chair for laughter. They thought I used a knitting machine to knit the scarves, and wondered how one can knit those fine stitches. They are NOT knitters at all. But I think they liked them as well. The forth SIL was there too, but not in the picture. Too bad.

I did not get pictures of all people I gifted with my hand knits, but they all seemed to like their gifts.

10 comments:

Cloudberry said...

Looks like they all loved their gifts.
Have a great week :)

hakucho said...

It's so nice when your knitted items are well received. Looks like you had a very nice reunion with all your relatives :)

bockstark.knits said...

How cool it is that your relatives are also knitters!

Anonymous said...

You were fortunate to actually see your family and friends wear your beautiful knitted gifts.

When I make knitted gifts, I never see them again.

Thanks for the photos and updates. I'm still with you.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your trip posts! Thanks for putting so much time into capturing your recollections for us. I am amazed at the planning it must have taken to have all of these beautiful items perfectly matched to their recipients!

Anonymous said...

You are so proficient, Monika, and so generous!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Such a treat to see all your lovely gifts being worn and enjoyed!!! Truly amazing that you knit so many gifts to share with everyone.

I love seeing the table with all the yummy snacks set out. Those look like cream buns. Be still my heart.

Gloria Patre said...

I've really been enjoying the fabulous pictures and all your family pics! That yarn store sure makes one realize how spoiled we are here! Your knitted gifts are lovely!! It's nice to see you back safely!

Anonymous said...

How fun to be able to give all the gifts in person! And I love your Grandmother just from that picture. :-)

Anonymous said...

They all seem very happy with the gifts you made for them.