Monday, November 03, 2008

Trip to Austria - Part 1

I had some trouble getting back, my soul must have taken a different plane home than I did, but now I think it caught up with me again. This trip was booked with two purposes in mind. To make a long overdue visit to see my parents and grandmother, and to resolve, if possible some other issues.

Of course as you all know, every trip is too short, and so was this one. I flew from Toronto to Vienna, and from Vienna to Graz. I arrived very tired, but excited at around lunch time. My DH Karl picked me up and since it was a warm, sunny day, we went straight Downtown Graz to have lunch, and walk around to reconnect with so many old memories, and sights. I have to admit, we took the elevator up the Schlossberg, because I could not face the many steps leading up to it, I was too tired. The Schlossberg is 475m high, and we had a wonderful view in all directions. I could easily stay in Graz for a week and not get bored at all. I'm sorry that I was too early for the Advent markets, but I got to see the "Maroni Brater"; they grill Chestnuts on the streets; the smell is divine, and the taste wonderful.

I did not take any pictures during the first few hours after my arrival, I didn't think straight, was too tired and wanted just to enjoy being there.
In any case, Graz was not my final destination, and we had to drive another hour to get to my parents house. There, a big WELCOME sign awaited me, with my parents and grandmother in front of it! It really had been too long.


To be continued ....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just not passing out on arrival is a huge success. When I flew to England and a couple years later to Germany I was out as soon as I found a bed. I also understand not wanting to be back. I had a hard time leaving both places. One of my goals is to be in Austria for the Christmas markets someday. They look lovely!

Angelika said...

Can't wait to see and read more.

Anonymous said...

Dear Monika, how lovely it is to read your blog again. Of course you were tired after such a long flight.

Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I can't think of anything more welcoming than seeing a sign made for you! How very wonderful.

Maggie said...

Glad your home and feeling normal again! I love chestnuts at the holidays. They're a Macedonian tradition as well. Bonfires and chestnuts; an event called Koleda. At home we just boil the chestnuts until they're done, but nothing is more Christmassy to me than chestnuts and mandarin oranges.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have a Welcome sign!! I think that's lovely!! Glad you had a good flight and glad you are safely home too!!

hakucho said...

Glad you're back and can't wait to read and see more :)

Your family looks VERY happy to see you! Rest up :)

...AnnaRose... said...

How many years were in between your visits?
I don't know when my first visit back in Germany will be but I hope I can see my Grandma again (she is 81 years old).

Anne

shannon said...

glad you have made it back safely. looking forward to reading and seeing all that you share!!!

give same and biko a little snuggle from me. :) i'm sure they're happy you are home.