Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mohana shawls!

I don't have time tomorrow, so I'm posting today.
First, before I forget, and I do that quite easily, I wanted to thank you for the overwhelming response to the Grasshopper scarf/Blog Anniversary post. Thanks for visiting and for all your kind words.

Second (since there was a first) - I was sure that you would call me a crazy chick, but thanks for being so understanding and kind to my self doubting babbling in the previous post.
Letting go, let me sit down and start writing the pattern (I'm funny that way, I say I wont do it, and after that, I'll do it.), which is not easy, but I can see myself doing it now. I've got the bare bones down, and have to find a way to do the charts, and there are charts, but easy ones. I'm not writing it up row by row, I'm crazy enough as it is, but that would drive me over the edge. :o)

Angelika agreed to test knit it for me (she's an expert test knitter), and she will help me figuring out the whole thing, so everybody can understand it. She of course, gets to deal with EZ style notes, very pithy, so far. Now to see what I'm talking about (maybe you saw some pics on Ravelry), here are lots of pictures of both shawls: As you know Maggie asked me to knit a lace shawl with her sock yarn, for Knitters Frolic 2008, and I was delighted to do so. Since she let me choose my own pattern, I thought why not give it a try and design something myself.

specifics for "Mohana shawl # 1" (Mohana by the way, and I hope I didn't get it wrong, is supposed to mean "charming" and I hope you'll find this shawl charming:

yarn: Jojoland Melody (not superwash) 100% wool, color # Y23, 4.5 balls, one ball is 220yds = total 990 yds. About this yarn: I bought a bag of 10 balls, made 2 pairs of socks with it. I was disappointed with the color, it was more orange on the screen. It felts easily, but for a shawl it should work. However, I found 5 knots in 3.5 balls. After I cut out a knot, I found this weird cotton thread coming out of my ball, exactly like you see here. That reminds me, for this shawl I used a lifeline for the first time. After the first stitch pattern, I didn't know what comes next, and how it would turn out, so I'd rather put one in. It's very comforting to know it's there. I didn't need it though. I just hate knots in any of my yarn. I still have a couple of balls left over, but for now, I can't stand to look at it. Oh, by the way, I did some major "yarn butchering" for the edge. The garter stitch rows worked out so nice, and I thought I wanted to have a green only crown picot edge. So I cut out all the green one ball had, and from some left over yarn from the socks I made. This crown picot eats up a lot of yarn, be warned! But I think it's lovely, and since I had enough of this stuff, it didn't matter.
needle: 3.75mm circular addi lace needle (thank god for notes)
size after blocking: 76" x 40"

My creation

specifics for "Mohana shawl # 2":

yarn: medium fingering weight 100% merino, Dyed in the Wool Handmade, 2.3 skeins = 875yds
needle: 4mm circular addi lace, 47 " long
size after blocking: 80" x 45"

Since the second shawl was knit with heavier weight yarn I used less yds, and it was bigger after blocking. The less yds are actually due to me making some minor changes in the design (less rows at the beginning). I like working lace with sock yarn, especially for shawls. This was my second shawl knit with Maggie's yarn. I made the Alex shawl and it was such a pleasure too. I love her color sense, and her humour in naming her yarn, which is odd, since this yarn I've used here, does not have a name, at least it didn't come with a tag, so Maggie, what do you call this one?
My creation
Hm, anything else? As soon as the pattern is test knit and ready, you'll be the first to know! :o) I'm very excited about the whole thing.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are very beautiful!!!

Sue J. said...

Oh, wow, Monika!!! The shawl is just stunning! I sure hope we will be able to purchase the pattern. Excellent job. Sure hope there is more designing in your future.

Dreams of Yarn said...

YAY!!! you did get it done! What a lot of work those shawls represent! And they really are lovely, I especially like the color way Maggie gave you, its gorgeous. Wonderful Job, I cant wait to see it up close at the frolic, on display!!!

Anonymous said...

They are very lovely and I am especially interested in seeing how the crown picot is worked! It looks almost as though the loops are beaded.

And you know - I happen to have about 1100 yds of fingering weight that isn't doing anything...

Emily said...

They're both so beautiful!

hakucho said...

VERY charming :)

Tracy Purtscher said...

See? Didn't I say you were just being modest? I LOVE this pattern!!! Just the exact amount of solid vs negative space. Love, love, love it. Ya know what I think? I am going to let you call yourself weird.....weird cuz you didn't seem to think that much about this beautiful shawl! THAT is weird!!!!! :o)

lexa said...

It's gorgeous and stunning in both yarns! I so love the edging. Well done!

CelticCastOn said...

its beautiful Monika!!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Really,these pictures show the design so much better. I love it. Congratulations on a really lovely shawl design! I'm with you - I hate it when I find knots in my yarn. That's one thing nice when you handwind your yarn you can spot them and cut the yarn right then.

Rhonda said...

It's quite lovely, can't wait for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! The pattern is so, so stunning and I can't wait to get a chance to knit it! Wonderful work!

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

It's lovely!

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

They're both gorgeous! I especially like the colors in the first one.

Maggie said...

I don't even know what to say. It's incredible. And you didn't even use all of the 3rd skein!

Monika, you outdid yourself. This is amazing.

I have no clever name for this pink yarn. I dyed it up and gave it to you right away. I still can't think of a name. Maybe when I go to dye more, I'll think of something.

Also, I won't be naming the colourways for most of the yarn I sell at the Frolic. It's just too much!

Ann said...

Both shawls are gorgeous - you are a incredible lace knitter. I love the color of Mohana 2.

Anonymous said...

Both versions are so pretty. And obviously you did a LOT of work. :-) Hope the test knittings go well!

Kris B said...

Beautiful, they are both so beautiful. You did an awesome job on them.

Leah said...

Absolutely stunning. You did a great job in designing!

Debi said...

Simply stunning Monika! Well done!

Viktoria said...

The shawls are just really stunning! Good job!

Kirsten said...

The shawls are both very, very beautiful!

Thanks for the heads up on the Jojoland felting. I've currently got a sock on the needles using that yarn. I'll probably rip it out and knit some lace.

shannon said...

they both are just beautiful!! it makes me want to knit a lace scarf!

sgeddes said...

Monika, the shawls are beautiful. You did a fabulous job. You better be careful or you won't be able to avoid doing this for money!

Gloria Patre said...

As always your shawls are breathtaking - and they seem to just float off your needles as if made by angels! I'm such a shawl underachiever! It sure makes me appreciate your skill and talent! Kudos to you!!!! I too am interested in seeing how you made the crown picot - I love picots as a rule and I find yours extraordinary!!

Frieda said...

Both shawls are really beautiful! Nice work.

Tara said...

Wow, this is your first attempt at designing a shawl???? Outstanding! :)

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful!

Yvette said...

I've used jojo melody for a shawl as well. I didn't find any knots but I did discover that the yarn is very itchy, which means no wearing this shawl on bare shoulders! disappointing. However, it is very inexpensive.

picperfic said...

well, that shawl is beautiful...your commitment to a project is admirable...all those knots would have made me so cross! I LOVE the edging!

Heike said...

Dein Tuch ist fantastisch!! Besonders das aus der gelben Melody ist ein Traum!
Du beeindruckst mich immer wieder

Liebe Grüße von Heike

Elemmaciltur said...

Queued on Ravelry. ;-) Great pattern!

Beverly said...

Both versions are beautiful. My favorite is the first one. You've created a lovely pattern.

Violiknit said...

Those are gorgeous! The green yarn "butchering" turned out looking really beautiful!

Lisa C. said...

OMG, Your shawl are BEAUTIFUL!

Cecie said...

unglaublich, meine liebe, was für wunderwunderschöne schals und tücher du strickst! ich bin begeistert und hin und weg... ich muss endlich auchmal ran - du wirst ab sofort zu meinem offiziellen motivator erklärt ;o)

tausend liebe grüsse, Cecie