Monday, March 17, 2008

I love getting mail...

... espcially of the fibery kind. Packages on Monday? Almost never heard off, and there are two today! (insert happy dance here).

What you see here are two kits from Yarnissima. Fratello and Spina Di Pesce. Getting these kits is wonderful. They are wrapped lovingly, with so many little things added, like the big sea shell, which comes with the Spina Di Pesce yarn.

Of course there's the yarn, Wollmeise, itself. I have three kits now, and I think they've become somewhat of collectors items to me. The pattern presentation is very professional; Fratello is like a booklet just for this one sock pattern. Amazing!

Last week there was a night, where I was a little bored, I think I even mentioned it here. You can only knit so much, and all the other things you've done, and what are you going to do? Surf the net, and shop. Ahem.

While looking to find new sources for my fiber addiction, I stumbled upon a name I knew. It's "Rose Haven Farm" owned by Linda Swaine. As I just read up on her homepage, she no longer operates her sheep farm, but has a yarn store in Piction. How do I know her? My daughter worked for her, several years ago, as a work experience program in school. Three weeks during lambing season, that put her off all things sheepy, except knitting finished yarn. ;o)


I e-mailed Linda to say Hallo, and finally ordered some 5lbs of selected fibers: South African Fine, Karaoke nature, Shetland grey, 50/50 kid mohair/Border Leicester, and Corriedale, all for me to spin and dye, or dye and spin, whatever I may fancy. Linda was out of most of her fibers, I would have loved to try some of her (now sold) sheep, but until she's stocked up again, I've plenty to keep myself busy.


Off to my spinning wheel now. I'm working on a project, which involves 1kg (~ 35oz) of Cotswold natural fiber. More about that when it's done.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those kits! I hope the Spina comes back in stock so I can order it at the same time as Fratello. That's a lot of roving to keep you busy. That's so nice to find someone you used to know. :-)

Maggie said...

I guess you have to know her, then! I tried to order fibre from there back in November and they told me they'd wash some fleece for me and then I never heard back nor did they respond to my emails. So I gave up and ordered from the US instead. :( I'm guessing they had gotten too busy?

The Wollmeise looks grand. I've never seen or touched any before, just online. :)

That cotswold looks beautiful. Is it soft or scratchy? I've no experience with it.

momsue84 said...

I love Yarnissima! Her patterns are incredible. I bet you'll have these knitted up in no time. btw, we are adopting two more rescue weims this week, 2 sisters from an abusive home right here in Cody. I can't wait!!!! Wish us luck.

lexa said...

Love the kits. Pretty colors.

Kim said...

Oh my gosh, more? I broke down and ordered the last time you posted it...sigh

...going to check my Pay Pal balance...

Emma said...

Definitely a good mail day!

sgeddes said...

Beautiful packages!

You have a lot of spinning to do it looks like!

Violiknit said...

Wow, those kits are making me swoon! I must get one!

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of mail I like also. Lovely yarn and patterns. Did you know yarnissima is living in the Netherlands. At the craftfair last februari she learned us how to knit a toe-up mini sock.

I can't believe how much yarn you are producing. How many hours a day are you spinning and knitting?

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

what a great surprise! Beautiful yarn and beautifully wrapped!

Susanne said...

Liebe Monika,
die Sockenwolle von Yarnissima sieht echt "lecker" aus, mmmh!
Herrliche Farben und wunderschöne Sockenmodelle. Ich hab gleich mal bei Yarnissima gestöbert. Kannte ich noch gar nicht. Vielen Dank für den Tip.
Ich bin schon gespannt, was aus Deinem selbstgesponnenen Garn wird.
Bis bald und liebe Grüße
Susanne

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Where's the pictures of the happy dance? I feel your joy - what a delight to receive such a beautifully packaged package! I can't wait to see your socks. Too funny about Hannah sheep experience.

hakucho said...

Oh, my..you are well stocked now :)

The socklady said...

Amazingly small world, I knew Linda when she was still living in BC, bought many a nice fleece from her. Should you talk to her again tell her Lynne from BC says HI.

kathy b said...

Im off the the rose haven site. THanks for the link!

kathy b said...

Im going over to the haven link. Thanks. Cotswold is lovely.

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

i stumbled across your blog from the Spunky club.
Imagine my surprise when I saw you posted about Linda. She actually lives across the street from me, her shop is around the corner and she's part of my spinning guild.
Small world.

:)