Friday, March 14, 2008

Cobblestone and Silver Dollar!

click the pic for closer look
All I did yesterday, was spinning, no knitting or any other fibery thing, 10 oz to be exact. Not this yarn though. This yarn was made with FatCatKnits merino in the colorway "Cobblestone" combined with one ply Dyed in the Wool Handmade "Silver Dollar" (I've about 1 oz of this fiber left). I've had "Cobblestone" in my fiber stash for so long, I forgot to take a picture of the fiber itself. It looked lovely, and as always so very different from the finished product. I like how this 3-ply turned out. I think its colores are very "manly"; my son liked it, and he usually isn't saying anything about my yarn. He especially liked the burned orange/silver grey parts, and so did I.

In the picture below you can see a small skein. I made some 2-ply (38yds) with the remaining "Cobblestone" singles, (don't know why I did not have enough of the "Silver Dollar", I weight it). I would not have liked it by itself, so I'm glad I decided to make the 3-ply.

fiber: FatCatKnits "Cobblestone" 100% merino, 4oz

Dyed in the Wool Handmade, "Silver Dollar", 100% superwash merino, 2oz (or so I thought)

yarn: 3-ply, 311yds, 12 WPI

destination: handpun stash


By the way, before I forget again, my daughter is on Ravelry too! You can find her under fipabella. :o)


Besides spinning, and all the other things I've accomplished I felt like I was really productive yesterday. I made some "Apfelstrudel" (Apple Strudel); it was delicious, but I can't seem to find the right flour for the dough, not like it really should be, but it was good nevertheless. I should take time to bake more often.


I was not the only one, tired at the end of the day. Sam took advantage of the free bed.

My camera has a hard time to focus in a dark room, that's why the picture is a bit blurry. But Sam is still cute. :o)

20 comments:

Sue J. said...

Cute, indeed! How about adorable? Precious? Your sweeties are all those things and more. And, oh, that strudel! I shouldn't read your blog before breakfast. Heard on the news last night that the price of flower is shooting through the roof. Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, it looks marvelous to me!

Larry said...

I agree. That is some very attractive yarn. I can imagine just holding it and admiring the way the colors twist and blend with each other. Can I have it? Just kidding.

knitmd said...

Isn't it nice when our fiber offspring appreciate what we do with the stuff?

How is Biko doing?

sgeddes said...

The color combinations came out very nice!

That strudel looks very good. It made me hungry.

Sam looks cute as always. I always look forward to seeing his photo. I hope Biko is progressing well.

Unknown said...

The fibre looks great. As does the dog and the food! I am uploading more pics of my dogs alter today.

lexa said...

Very gorgeous hand spun. Your baking looks yummy, too. And even blurry he's still a cutie!

Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ist das ein gezogener Strudelteig? Soll ich mal nachschauen, welches Mehl das Sacherkochbuch oder Wiener Küche vorschlagen? Ich bin ja meistens zu faul dafür und nehme fertigen Blätterteig. Schmeckt gut, ist aber halt nicht das Original.

lg aus Wien

Leandra
http://leandra.myblog.de

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, Apfelstrudel! Am liebsten lauwarm und mit Eis und warmer Vanillesauce..... Ich bestelle mir den immer, backen kann ich ihn nicht.

Deine Wolle schaut toll aus.
Ich bin immer wieder neidisch, wenn ich sehe wieviel Zeit Du hast. Ich schaffe nicht ein Bruchteil dessen in einem Monat.

Liebe Grüße und ein Stöckchen von Juli

Claudia Bugh said...

What a treat to see Hannah on Ravelry! She knits some nice looking socks (no surprise there). Your apple dessert looks very yummmmy. The yarn is very pretty - have you decided what all this handspun will be - maybe an incredible quilt jacket?

Angelika said...

You have such great ideas and the yarn turned out really nice. It would have reminded me of pudding, but with the grey it makes it kind of handsome (?)

Cloudberry said...

The yarn is beautiful and Sam is adorable!

Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn. you do such a wonderful job.

hakucho said...

Very beautiful yarn and your Apfelstrudel looks delicious...yum :)

Anonymous said...

Sam is adorable. I love the head on the paw sleeping pose. Biko is recovering nicely?

Yum, apple strudel. Mmmmm.

And that yarn is just gorgeous. It needs a really simple pattern to showcase it. [must stop knitting other people's stash in my head]

Anonymous said...

That has to be the prettiest yarn ever!

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling over your post. Can I come live with you? ;-)

Kris B said...

Very nice yarn and I agree the colors do look masculine. The apple strudel looks yummy.

I also really like your mittens and I'm glad to hear you stuck with them and didn't rip them.

Fred and Wilma are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn! The Apfelstrudel looks delicious.

Margaret said...

Lovely yarn! I mean Handsome (if it's to be for your son!) I'm with you, I like the 3-ply better too, the grey seems to make the other colors seem a little stronger.

Violiknit said...

Gorgeous handspun yarn! Really great colors! Wow, that Apfelstrudel looks delicious!