Friday, August 24, 2007

Wanna see what's going on around here?

Sometimes it's not easy to be me. Sigh.

This is my first sleeve of my sweater. I've fixed the back, I've fixed the left front, and finished the right front. Now I'm knitting the sleeve, one at a time. I'm pathetic!
Below is the effort of an hour of knitting. Or should I say knitting, ripping, and knitting, and ripping ....
These are fairly simple two color mittens, or so I thought. Anna Zilboorg likes to knit her mitts from the finger tips down. Not the best thing to try, when you are not used to knitting with two colors. I'm using Koigu by the way.

I've decided to knit my mitts from the cuff. First time corrugated ribbed cuffs as well. This is a little over an inch, and it took me a whole evening! I'm not sure I'll move forward with this one either. I left it at that for now, to decide its fate later. I just didn't feel comfortable starting something new, was restless until I grabbed my sweater and worked on it. I told you I'm pathetic. I really, really want to knit several pairs of mitts, but they'll have to wait.


I'm going to finish the sweater first, and after that, in September there's going to be a new KAL, which I'd like to join for a triangular shawl from a German crafts magazine. More about that later. There will be the September Sockamania Club KAL pattern coming soon as well, and of course Cat's book is waiting patiently for me to play with it again.



I've also got something going on with my spinning. This is on my wheel right now. A blend of wool (don't know which sheep it came from) and mohair. Nasty to spin, at least I have difficulties. I'm going for a 3-ply for socks again. This roving looks nice enough, but spun it looks like an old rag, not pretty, but since I have it, and started it, I'll finish it. Have you ever thrown away roving or yarn from roving you didn't like? Well, if and when I finish this, it will be good enough for socks, even if I don't like it.


I've also discovered, that spinning hurts my right arm more than knitting does. Have to do it in shorter sessions. What's the longest you can spin comfortably?





Biko and Sam and I wish you a wonderful weekend!



17 comments:

shannon said...

the sweater will be just lovely (as all your knitting is).

with any luck we'll hear soon about the house we put an offer in on yesterday!! then i can get to my stash and knit knit knit! :)

thanks for letting me live vicariously through your knitting.

Teresa said...

Oh, what a beautiful sweater! I'm excited to see the finished project.

The mittens are really neat looking. Think the variegated yarns will really suit them.

I don't know about the spinning, I'm still sitting down with the ol' top whorl. Takes me forever!

La Cabeza Grande said...

What beautiful fall colors you wear on your sleeve! Nicely done, as always.

Anonymous said...

It's that book. I borrowed it from the library and wanted to knit EVERY MITTEN IN IT!!!

I can spin for at least an hour at a time, but I had to stop leaning on the sofa arm with my left elbow - it was giving me a neck pain.

Have a a great weekend!

Kirsten said...

Those mittens are going to be really beautiful. I must go google that pattern now!

Bea said...

That sweater looks so pretty! The mittens are turning out really pretty, I've had a few run ins with corrugated ribbing, but it's totally worth the effort!

hakucho said...

Love the colors of your sweater. Those mittens look very interesting, but complicated. You are truely an amazing knitter :)

Anonymous said...

Oh very nice jumper, and lovely mitts. I love the idea of a vaiegated and a plain yarn together!! Hope Biko and Sam have a great weekend: they look very happy!!!

T-Mom said...

As usual I'm catching up, and as usual, I'm awed and entranced by your beautiful knitting, Monika. Those green Corriedale socks are just beautiful, and so are the teal children's socks. And oh yeah, I think that picture of Sam with his ball under the apple tree is calendar-worthy. Hugs to him and Biko.

Cloudberry said...

Those pattern are stunning!
Where did you find the pattern ??

Anonymous said...

what's pathetic?
you are learning!!! always a good thing.
corrugated rib takes a while to get used to.
you go, girl!

Anonymous said...

Hallo, Monika,

der Pulloverärmel sieht schon sehr vielversprechend aus!!
Und auch auf die Handschuhe bin ich schon gespannt - ich will auch schon ewig Fäustlinge stricken, aber immer kommen mir die Socken dazwischen ;-)

Liebe Grüße
Tanja

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your sweater will be done in time to wear for Fall. Love,love the mittens and such pretty colors.

eyeleen said...

I like that pattern for the mittens, it'll look great with the koigu.

beautiful roving, I can't wait to see your handspun.

As always I love the pictures of the dogs.

Anonymous said...

Hope you all had a good weekend! Your sweater will be perfect, y'know.

Oooh, Anna Zilboorg! Dang! I forgot I had her mitten book before I ordered the Latvian mitten book. Oh well. Can't have too many mitten books in a warm climate....

Dave said...

First time back to blogging since the start of the summer. Great to see that you are still here. Looking forward to returning often!

Violiknit said...

Those mittens are going to be gorgeous! Sorry spinning hurts your arm; make sure to take lots of breaks; you don't want to get repetitive stress injury!