Friday, August 03, 2007

Roving and Batts - for my spinning pleasure!

Folks you misunderstood me! Especially Elisabeth, I know I'm a mad woman, but not for the reason you mentioned! ;o) I totally LOVE Blue Face Leicester roving/yarn! I didn't like the Tulip roving when I first saw it because of the colors! I liked the hat I knit with it though. BFL is the next best thing if you can't get your hands on merino, I think. But I've only spun merino once (finished yesterday, still have to ply it).

But have a look what's still waiting for me: These wonderful batts are waiting patiently in my roving stash. I've got them here at Spritely Goods. She's got a lot of lovely stuff, and a very friendly service.

This is Merino/Tencel blend, 100g of it, ready to be spun or dyed, whatever. Very soft to the touch.

Merino/Silk blend. I could not resist. When I was picking up the Lace Flyer Kit at Gemini Fibers, I had to take some roving with me. The hardest thing was to decide which color. And since I don't want to spin the same color or variations of them all the time, I stepped out of my color comfort zone and took these two colors. The below picture shows the colors more accurately.



200g each of some Corriedale. I think I'll make some colorwork mittens out of it, as soon as I'll get to spinning it. Love both colors very much.


200g charcoal merino/tencel, that should be interesting to spin. I'll need this as toes and heel part for the self dyed roving, I did some time ago.



This is 200g camel. I wanted to give it a try. Looks (and feels) very coarse to me.




And here is what I've been working on the last week or so. On the left is beautiful natural brown Blue Face Leicester, and on the right is my first Merino wheel spun, both ready to be plied.
Have a great weekend!

22 comments:

Kris B said...

I love BFL to. It is so soft. I'm interested to hear how the camel spins up for you.

Briana E. said...

Gorgeous batts!

Cheryl said...

What beautiful fiber in your stash! I am also anxious to hear how the camel spins up.

Teresa said...

I'm drooling over your fibers Monika! I love the merino silk blend. Are you going to ply those together?

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to be looking at color! I'm spinning brown, brown, brown - a lovely border leicester/romney mix to be sure, very easy to spin, but my eyes crave color! Thanks for hookin' me up!

Anonymous said...

ohhh love the green and orange, those mittens will be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

totally drooling here - must learn to spin, must learn to spin, must learn to spin :-)

Kat said...

[wiping drool off the keyboard in order to be able to type]
WOW!!! My hands are literally itching to touch those!!

Droooooollllllll

The fiber on the bobbins looks luscious, too!!

Anonymous said...

I am not normally a 'batt' girl, but you may have just converted mw. You got some seriously nice fiber!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

stunning. I love the orange and green together! But it's all beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It's just gorgeous.

Have a fun weekend knitting it up! And spoiling the pups.

Romi said...

Oooooooh. ::drool:: Those are gorgeous colors!

Stephanie said...

oh my. That is some gorgeous fiber. (and those batts aren't half bad either ;) thanks for the link!)

I really need to sit down with my wheel, I'm itching to start knitting the wing o the moth out of some handspun, but I actually need to finish spinning before I cast on!

Strickfimmel said...

Wow, was für schöne Farben. Ich habe gar nicht gewußt und gedacht, dass es die Rohwolle in so wunderschönen Farben gibt. Ich kann gut verstehen, dass Dein Vorrat immer größer wird. Ich glaube bei mir wäre das auch nicht anders.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wonderful variety of fiber! I'm jealous! I do have a little bit of roving to spin up here. Not this weekend though... It's all about my Samus sweater. I'm determined to make some headway!

Have a good weekend!

hakucho said...

Looks like all your new roving and batts will keep you out of trouble for a while. Looking forward to seeing it all spun :)

happy spinning :)

Life's a Stitch said...

Those are woderful pictures of softness. I love tencel.
Li

--Deb said...

That all looks so, so pretty!

Unknown said...

Oh Gosh! What lovely colours. No, I will not be taking up spinning too....;-)

Elemmaciltur said...

Why I do I suddenly feel the urge to learn to spin??! :-p

shannon said...

i love the orange and green roving together!!!

Violiknit said...

Definitely drool-worthy batts! You always have such an amazing eye for color!