Saturday, December 16, 2006

Because I'm so proud ...

... I'm going to show you a few pictures of my dad (68) and some of his paintings and wood carvings. I don't know why, but I don't have that many of his art or even good pictures, because I never thought to take pictures of it, since it was always there.
Today was the last day of his show, which lasted over the last two weeks. My dad is a retired police officer. Before his retirement he was the Chief of Police in my home town. He was always very creative and only had to choose a profession other than being an artist, because, you know, artists, unless very well known, don't live that well. But he never stopped painting or wood carving, it was always a passion of his and still is. Although working with the wood working tools is not as easy as it used to be, since his fingers on both hands have arthritis and gout.

This summer he bought himself this moped, another life long wish was fulfilled, just for joy rides to places, which are too far to walk. I think he's smart and realized that one lives only once and it could all be over so quickly! ;o)

This carved birds were a great hit at the show, he sold them all and could have sold many more. (This is just a picture of a few, he had many more.) In the picture above you can see him standing next to his bird tree, full of all kinds of different birds, they all looked like the real ones.

For a long time he carved religious figures like the virgin Mary with child and Jesus C. on the cross, and Saint Barbara and so on. He made so many different things, it's impossible to recount them all. And now, that I think about it, I start to remember things he made, that I had forgotten. For example he made wonderful wood inlay work as well, a table top, small objects like boxes and very impressive the ceiling for one room. I don't know if you can imagine that. He also painted on furniture, like it was the custom in Austria with the peasantry, very rustic, flowers and all. He of course had to restore many pieces before he could paint on them.


I'm real sorry, that I don't have more and better pictures to show. I love his oil paintings and have one over the mantle piece. It was made the year I was born, in 1964. I would have liked to upload it, but blogger will not allow it. He gave away most of his paintings, some he sold.


He worked a long time in preparation for this show, and I'm so glad that people liked it. It was certainly a great and rewarding experience for my dad.

I'm proud of you, dad!

17 comments:

hakucho said...

You should be proud. Your Dad's carvings and paintings are fabulous! You are so lucky to have such a young (youthful) Dad.

Sue J. said...

What a touching tribute to your Dad. He sounds like a remarkable man. Enjoy every moment you can with him. Fathers and daughters have such a special relationship.
Sue J

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have such a talented, creative, energetic Dad who seems to really enjoy life!
So that's where you got your creative genes!

Kris B said...

I visit your blog often. You are a talented knitter and I can see that your Dad is very talented to. I enjoyed seeing some of his work.
Kris B

Anonymous said...

het monika!
what a great tribute!
thanks for sharing this with us!

Violiknit said...

Your father creates such beautiful things; I totally see where you have inherited your creativity and artistry from. And you played piano for 7 years! You must be quite good! Did you ever play sonatas with your brother? Thank you also for always leaving such nice comments on my blog. I love visiting your blog and seeing what you are making; it is always so inspiring for me. :)

Knitted Zebra said...

Your Dad is definitely talented! I do believe you take after him! What a wonderful show! Thanks for sharing some of it with us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for introducing your Dad and his most amazing work to us - you can be very proud of him, that's for sure! I'm literally stunned by the beautiful work he's doing - I know how skilled one has to be to do that kind of woodwork, and he definitely has major skills in this field! You're very lucky to have him as a Dad!

Strickfimmel said...

Hallo Monika,
ich bin wirklich beeindruckt von den Bildern und Schnitzereien die Dein Vater gefertigt hat. Er ist sehr begabt und ich finde Du hast vieles, was die Kreativität angeht, von ihm geerbt. Es ist eine sehr schöne Geste von Dir, einige Sachen von Deinem Vater zu zeigen. Du kannst stolz auf ihn sein.

Granny said...

Those pieces are gorgeous! My husband is a woodturner and does just a bit of carving so I can appreciate the work and skill your dad put into those pieces. I can see why you are proud of your dad!!

Judy L.

Anonymous said...

auf den ersten blick dachte ich es seien ausgestopfte vögel. unglaublich wie "natürlich" dein vater schnitzt und bemalt. eine virtuelle verneigung vor seinem könnnen.
aus österreich grüßt mercedes

Anonymous said...

The carving and painting is super. My husband carves and so it's great to see other work too.
Gillian

meg said...

LOVE the cats. such talent.

monica said...

Your dad's work is beautiful. Creativity must run in the family.

shirleyknits said...

Wow! Your dad's work is wonderful!
I especially like the carved cats. He is certainly very talented.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is just so fabulous about your dad! And the carvings are beautiful. I would have loved to see the painted furniture.

Life's a Stitch said...

What a talented guy. I like hearing positive dad/daughter stories. My dad died when I was 16 and I feel like I've missed a lot.
Li