Friday, September 16, 2011

Handspun Friday - Lithos

The night of September 14th, 2011, was the night where I dug out a pair of knit socks, and wore them throughout the night, it was THAT cold! The days before were humid, and hot, and then the temperatures dropped. I'm not complaining!

This month is looking good where spinning is concerned. Here's some finished yarn, which was a joy from start to finish. I loved looking at the fiber, and it was nice to spin too. It's by no means soft as butter, but soft enough. I only regret not having had more of it.

Wildhare-Lithos-4oz sw wool top

I LOVE this yarn!

Wildhare-Lithos-4oz sw wool top-318yds-chain plied
Dyed by:

Wild Hare Fiber Studio : superwash 58s wool top (it’s a blend of breeds from sheep in the Midwest, from a US mill) colorway: Lithos

Wildhare-Lithos-4oz sw wool top-318yds-chain plied

This yarn is chain plied, 318yds.

Wildhare-Lithos-4oz sw wool top-318yds-chain plied

I want to use it for a shawl, but it's not enough on it's own, so I'm going to spin several other yarns, and find out which one will go with it best. I'd like to spin some natural fiber as well. I have lots of it, for instance, some lovely white Cormo (which at this point I have no idea where it is), some variegated brown BFL, some grey Gotland, dark brown Alpaca, and many more. It's fun to dig into my fiber stash. :o)

Wildhare-Lithos-4oz sw wool top-318yds-chain plied
I've been knitting too, but not as much. It comes in waves.
I've also done some "Spring cleaning" in my Ravelry queue. I had 30 pages full of projects, and I was going through them one by one, to find out if it's likely for me to knit them, or unlikely (delete). At the moment I feel once again a little overwhelmed with the constant input of new patterns, when I have so many projects lined up already, I really want to do. I really hate it, when I can't decide what to do next, because there's too much choice.
***
It's a pleasure to eat soup again, now that it's gotten colder. Here's on of my favorites, garlic soup with soup pearls, which we have only now and then. (the soup pearls that is).

garlic soup with soup pearls

And do you think the boys like their occasional bull winkle treat?

bullwinkle treat

It's so special, that Denny only chewed it a little, before he started to hide it.

bullwinkle treat

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

***

18 comments:

2paw said...

The colours in your new wool are beautiful, I love the coffee/cocoa colours with the neutrals.
Garlic soup and soup pearls: you'll have to post the recipe and I didn't even know what soup pearls were!! They look beautiful on top of the soup.
I think the boys LOVE their treat!!
I use my queue as inspiration and not specifically as a list of things to make.

Alexandra said...

Love the yarn! The color sections are so perfect. I would love to look at your fiber stash, I'm sure it's amazing :) Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that yarn is SO beautiful! I can understand you wanting to make something special with it.

Bryndís said...

Wow, this yarn is so beautiful! I love the colors and how even it is. I look forward to see it become a shawl ;) Have a nice weekend too :)

Chery said...

What are soup pearls? Love your spun up fiber. Looks wonderful.

Cloudberry said...

Oh, that skein of yarn is so beautiful!!

CelticCastOn said...

oh yes this would look great with something natural.

knottygnome said...

your yarn is stunning! i'm awed by how bold and graphic those neutral colors are.

Michelle said...

Love that yarn! I can't buy anything new until after SOAR though. Nimitz would love those sticks but due to his allergy he'll never know. More for your guys!

Bea said...

Das Garn ist wunderschön. Schon im Kammzug und versponnen erst recht.

Liebe Grüße, die Bea

Dave said...

Woah, that yarn looks amazing!!

Kathy... said...

Oh - such gorgeous yarn! Love it. I'm not familiar with that vendor, so thanks for that.....she's now in my Etsy fav category.

I bought Sofee one of those chew thingies, as I worry about her teeth - she was appalled that I would even suggest that she chew on something that disgusting!! She is hardly a dog at all. LOL

Beverly said...

Love the colors of the wool. I've been whittling down my cue too. It can get really overwhelming at times.

Never heard of soup pearls. They look interesting.

Susan said...

I love that yarn! Just stunning, especially the way you plied it!

Soup pearls? I had never heard of them before so I just googled it. I think I would like them.

Rhonda said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I love blue and brown together, but I think you know that.

Sharon said...

You did a lovely job with your spinning and I'm always amazed at how even it is. One day I hope to be as good at it as you are.

You also managed to squeeze in three of my favorite things, spinning, eating and enjoying your pups. Lovely.

Enjoy your weekend.

Andi said...

I am drooling over that yarn! No wonder you love it.That soup sounds just too delicious.

Delusional Knitter said...

You did a fantastic job spinning that yarn. The colors are great and its so perfectly balanced in the plies.