Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Good News and Bad News

I thought I'd finally found a use for my handspun left over yarns. I was going to crochet squares like the one below, but bigger, and crochet them together for a blanket - very long term project.

But after working on this little square for a couple of hours, over two evenings, my right hand and wrist hurt just too much. I think I can seriously forget about crochet. That's too bad, because there are a few crochet projects I would have really liked to do.

Funny thing is, I can knit for hours every day, and I don't feel a thing. So now I think I'll have to come up with something else to do with my left over yarns.

crochet square made with left over handspun yarn

Good news is, that I've baked a delicious banana bread. I used this recipe loosely. I added chopped walnuts, Belgium chocolate shavings, and some Allspice, as well as two eggs instead of one, some brown sugar, a little bit more flour, and a splash of milk. Anyway, here it is fresh out of the oven. It smelled heavenly!

Banana Bread with Walnuts & Belgium chocolate shavings

I was going to spin some today, but my wrist still hurts. Maybe later I can get some knitting done, or just take it easy today. I'll rip out the crochet square, and think about what else I could do with the yarn. It's mostly fingering weight, maybe I'll knit some log cabin squares?

***

17 comments:

lzbthmcmullen said...

How do you hold your hook when you crochet? Like a pencil or from the top like you would hold a knitting needle? Try changing the way you hold your hook, this can make a LOT of difference in the pain department. Also, I find that smaller hooks cause more pain than large ones. If this is the case for you as well, you can get cushions for your hooks at yarn stores that will make them more comfortable to hold. Don't give up on crochet just yet!

momsue84 said...

I'm the same way, Monika. It's the twisting of my wrist that causes me such pain. Thank goodness, I can knit for hours with no pain. Life without crochet? I can take it.

knottygnome said...

that's too bad about crochet. i second the comment above and also add maybe try a different kind of hook? i know that they make ones with more ergonomic grips. i haven't tried them (i just use cheapy aluminum hooks) but it might be worth a try.

Unknown said...

lovely homespun, too bad you cannot make the squares. how about tunisian crochet? might be easier on your wrist. do something looser. or knit mitered squares like http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mitered-squares-afghan

AdrieneJ said...

I third lzbthmcullen's comment above. This may sound weird, but have you tried using a wooden or bone crochet hook? I find that, if I've been knitting with wooden or bamboo needles, the return to metals hurts my hands. I wonder if the same could be true of crochet hooks? I have a bone hook, but I haven't tested this theory yet myself.

Rhonda said...

That's too bad, those squares would have made a lovely blanket

CelticCastOn said...

:( too bad about the crochet. Did you try those rectangular hooks yet?

Claudia Bugh said...

Why not make Hexipuffs? I hear they are addictive and it's a super cute honeycomb blanket when done :) I may use my left over sock yarns to make some.

Hope the wrist feels better.... today just relax and eat cake - LOL

Virginia G said...

Can you knit squares instead?

I'm sorry about your wrist. Yowza!

(I'm feeling a little bereft that there were no doggies in this post. How are my canine internet buddies doing???)

lookinout said...

Would wrist supports help? Like the ones you might use for carpal tunnel? It is also possible that you hold your hook tighter than knitting needles. Would a larger handle on the hook help? Could you learn to move the project instead of the hook? I think that would be tough. Anyway your projects always look great.
Gillian

Madam Butterfly said...

Beautiful blog! Thank you for participating in my blog give-away.

Cloudberry said...

I'd try to change hook or the way of holding the hook too. The square looks beautiful, so it's bad you can't make more of them...

2paw said...

It is such a nice square too, I know I have seen knitted squares like that, or are you just in love with the crocheted ones???
I think you invented a new recipe. WE are still pretty much banana-less in Australia after the cyclone and floods in Summer.

Cambria said...

I recommend the Beekeeper's Quilt, which is my personal obsession right now, to use up the handspun leftovers ;)

BodilE said...

Such a petty you can't crochet because the square would have made a beautiful blanket! If it doesn't work for you to change the way you hold the hook (I hold it like a knitting needle, holding it like a pencil kills my wrists too) maybe you can knit the squares? The knitted squares in this ( http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=114&d_id=1&lang=us ) pattern looks nearly like your crocheted one. Hope you feel better soon!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You could try something like the Barn Raising blanket - it's similar to your squares, but knit.

Carrie#K said...

Rest. Your. Wrists.