Monday, August 24, 2009

Jumbo Rainier Cherries Blanket

Do you remember my crochet squares? I've been working away on them on and off. These are the ones, Happy honed his grab and run act on. I suppose we both thought it funny, because otherwise I would have removed them from the coffee table.

Flower bed - beginning-2

The whole blanket is made up of 86 squares. I found the most delicious Jumbo Rainier Cherries! Don't they looks scrumptious amongst the squares? And they tasted as good as they looked. Of course now I've to think of those every time I look at the blanket. So here it will be named "Jumbo Rainier Cherries Blanket".

July 16

It's not quite done yet, but I'm close. I'm already working on the border. I'm liking it a lot...

Rainier Cherries Blanket Aug. 23-2
I would have finished it already, but my arm hurts up to the ellbow. Crocheting is harder on my hands and arms than knitting is.

Of course it's not a proper post without a Happy story:

Happy and Steirerbua in bed-1-1
The picture has nothing to do with the story though. I just had to say Thank you! to Ulrike, who sent me this cute little Teddy Bear in Lederhosen with an Edelweiss on it! It's a genuine Steirerbua from Styria, Austria. The empty bedside next is filling up fast. I think the Steirerbua looks a little scared. He saw what Happy did to his cousin. (Don't you just love Happy's light brown eyes?)

***

Now to the actual story. Happy and I were up VERY early in the morning, a couple of days ago. I took him outside first thing, and while he played around in the hallway, I sat (cough) at the computer (cough), totally forgetting he was there. About an hour later I heard the bells I put on the doorknob jingle, and my first thought was, that Biko has come downstairs (which was nonsense, she gets up late). Then I saw my little snuggle bug sitting prettily in front of the door, waiting for the door magically to open, since HE rang the bells! He really had to go desperately, as it turned out. I can't tell you how proud I was at that moment, that he'd figured this one out so soon. :o)

***

20 comments:

Frieda said...

The blanket is beautiful ,the colours are just wonderful together, love that little bear too!

Happy's losing that little puppy dog face. He's one handsome fella , and smart too ...

momsue84 said...

Another beautiful blanket!! And congratulations to Happy on his learning success. He is so adorable! I know, I keep saying that. But, he is!!!!!!

Renata S. P. said...

Wow!
That's going to be another gourgeous chrochet blanket!
Just can't wait to see the final pictures!!!

Hugs to you, Happy and Biko!
Have a nice week =)

2paw said...

Isn't Happy the cleverest boy???!! How smart and handsome he is!! Pats to Biko and Happy. I love your squares and the cherries are a perfect match but unlike any cherries here: ours are a deep, deep cherry red, almost burgundy colour.

Mary Ellen said...

The blanket looks lovely. Thanks for sharing another Happy story - he really has captured your heart hasn't he?

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. Love those colours. Very cheerful. Which reminds me - my husband had a dog called "Cheerful" when he was a boy. Cheerful? Happy? I know I know, a loose connection....but...

shannon said...

how wonderful! he's growing up to be a great dog...which doesn't surprise me since he's got the guidance of biko.

steffi said...

Dein Happy ist allerliebst... so groß ist er schon geworden und sieht sooo lieb aus :)
Deine Decke wird sooo schön... besonders mag ich das Bild mit den Kirschen :)
Lasse Dich lieb Grüßen
Steffi

Knittaxa said...

Was für eine süße Geschichte! Tolle Leistung von Happy.
Ich möchte ja versuchen, unserem Kater ebenfalls das Klingeln an der Haustür beizubringen... durch Pfotendruck. Warten wir's ab!

Deine Häkeldecke wird wunderschön. Früher habe ich ständig irgendwelche Grannysquares in Arbeit gehabt.

Liebe Grüße
Knittaxa

Susan said...

What a good boy, Happy! I hope he doesn't figure out that ringing the bell is just a good game. I had a Bichon that I taught to ring bells to go outside. Pretty soon he would ring the bell, watch me come racing over, give me a look that said, "Cool!", and walk away. I guess it was clear who was getting trained.

Walden said...

Can't wait to see your squares together. Happy seems to be a very bright puppy . . . and adorable, of course.

Sharon said...

86 crochet squares would have me pulling my hair out! You do great work and the blanket is going to be absolutely stunning, I'm sure.

Happy is a wonderdog! (You kind of always knew that Happy was brilliant, didn't you?)

Carrie K said...

The crocheting goes with that so gorgeously! Good enough to eat.

Ah, Happy, what a clever boy! And good too.

Anonymous said...

Loving the idea of the blankie and have even enhanced my stash so I can do one too....but all those ends and all that weaving....hmmmmm.

Gotta say your photos are wonderful today....

hakucho said...

You have one smart pup there :)

I really love your blanket...your color choice is awesome and looks like you made it just to match those cherries ;)

Take care of your arm....rest up !!

Monica aka Gloria Patre said...

The colors of the squares are lovely! So summery and cheery! And that sweet little teddy bear looks good enough to eat - oh! maybe I shouldn't say that too loud - it looks like Happy thinks so too! :o)

Alexandra said...

The blanket is beautiful, I love the colors and the border looks great! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished blanket!

picperfic said...

I adore the colours of your blanket..so sorry your arm hurts though, maybe a clover crochet hook would help?

T-Mom said...

OMG, look at those ears!! Adorable boy! I'm really behind--I'm looking forward to reading about Happy.

Cloudberry said...

Love the colors!
It looks so summer :)
Crocheting makes my hands and wrist hurting, so I haven't crochet squares for my blankets n a while now...

Happy is cute as always :)