Monday, July 21, 2008

All oranged out ...

355yds Norwegian, navajo plied, 4oz

538yds Norwegian/South African Fine, ~ 6oz, 3-ply2 strands Norwegian, and 1 strand orange South African Fine. Look how the extra orange tones down the other colors.



190yds South African Fine, 3.5oz, navajo plied, once again I was going for a little thicker yarn.


My creation


I'm almost done with spinning all the fiber I've dyed back in April. I needed to take a break from the color orange, so I'm spinning "Mist" lilac/purple merino/bamboo for the moment, before I go back to finish off the last of South African Fine.

This merino/bamboo needs to be spun fine, and fast (whorl). It's very slippery, and feels like butter in your/my hands. It's the best time to dye fiber or yarn right now. I'm really tempted, but I think I'll keep my natural fiber just that for the moment. I think I have enough dyed fiber in my stash to last me until next summer. I'll work on that, which is quite sensible of me, don't you think? :o)


There's some drama developing in our garden, of which I will report about soon. I'm hoping to get at least ONE picture to tell the tale. :o)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of that blue/orange combo yarn. But I totally understand being tired of it as well. It's good that you have another color to spin with to cleanse yourself. I'm curious now as to what's happening with your garden. :-)

Maggie Tipping said...

I just started spinning, and I am very envious of your spinning ability! How long was it after you learned before you were able to create usable yarn?

Anonymous said...

Quite sensible!

I love your orange colorways. It's amazing the differences.

hakucho said...

All your handspun yarn is gorgeous!! It must be so much fun to spin :) The merino/bamboo looks wonderful and I bet it's very soft :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your spinning is always so beautifully done. I agree about bamboo - it is like butter - I think it is the softest silkiest stuff I've ever knit with. Curious about the garden drama....

lexa said...

Lovely yarns. My kinda colors!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Your shades of orange are quite lovely, Monika! So is the lilac bamboo blend.

Best of luck of with the robin drama in the yews.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarns. I am not fond of orange but I like these colors very much.
But of course I like the colors of the yarn you are spinning now very much!

I am very curious about your garden...

sgeddes said...

I love the orange with the blue - one of my favorite combos. I'm trying to spin from my stash too. I've got more stashed away than I'd like to.

Kris B said...

You have made some beautiful yarn again. That is interesting how the extra orange made the blues less intense.

Add another person that is interested in hearing about the back yard drama.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the different looks from different plying methods. Thanks for your encouragement on my Navajo plying!

Anonymous said...

Seufz - wenn ich doch nur mehr Zeit hätte....

Monika, Deine Wolle schaut wunderbar aus. Ob mit oder ohne Orange. Und nicht nur die Farben sind schön, sondern auf das Garn an sich ist herrlich schön gleichmäßig und optimal dickdünn.

Liebe Grüße, Juli

Anonymous said...

Wunderschön hast du gefärbt und gesponnen, Monika!
Liebe Grüße,
Maria

Anonymous said...

Herrliche Farben und herrlich versponnen - ja ... und die Fotos sind halt auch wie immer spitze :-))

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Violiknit said...

Beautiful handspun! I love all the orange!

Gloria Patre said...

I am seriously in love with the orange-blue top! Such vibrant colors! You've spun it up so nicely too! Isn't it amazing how much things can change from fiber to knit? So mellow now plied with the plain color single! Yummy!