Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Blog Blahs over?

I believe "blog blahs" are contagious, and I've contracted it from Sue who suffered from it, but recovered quickly, and so did I. There's just too much to show.
I LOVE Fall, and all it's colores. This year though it's a lot warmer than usual, but still the fall colores are already there. Now you'll find me more outside and enjoying it too.





I've been knitting of course, after the Braided shawl was done, I was so very ready to knit little things, things I've been wanting to knit for a long time. Like this very spicy Beethoven Dickey.
I made it with the yarn I dyed with turmeric. The Dickey pattern is from Elizabeth Zimmermann. It's very easy to knit and I like this version with the stretchy garter stitch neck, because I can't stand close things around my throat, but this expands easily.
My son asked, if I wanted to knit a Pullover and had run out of yarn? I think it's a wonderful idea.







Sam seems to like the turmeric taste. One can smell it very faintly (for human noses), but he started to like the bip right away.
I love the color of this big neck warmer. The yarn is Knit Picks Bare, worsted weight, and I needed just a little over one skein. It's a pity really, because now I haven't got enough for the mittens I wanted to knit with the second skein. I wanted it pure with no other colores mixed, but have to rethink this now.
This is an adult sized Dickey. I've tried to find a better way to do the decreases, and even frogged several attempts, but nothing looked better than E.Z.'s method. I think she wrote down the instructions for the best result already.

On the spinning front, there's this 190yds skein. I didn't care for the colores very much, so I tried to mix them up real good and spin a little thicker than normal. It turned out 2-ply "thick'n thin" yarn, because it's not my best spinning ever. The break I took was too long, and even though you'll never forget how it goes, you need practice to produce even yarn.





Wound into a ball does nothing for this yarn. I'm curious how it will look knit up.
It's 4oz of Shetland wool, which I LOVED to spin. It's so easy, and soft to spin and I will definitely buy more of this fiber in the future. That's so fun about being in a Fiber Club with monthly installments. You get to try out different fibers, so you know what to buy and what not to buy in the future.
This one was called "Celebrations" and was the July installment of the Spunky Eclectic Fiber Club.

I've got more to show you, but that will have to wait for another post. I've got my Fiber for September in the mail today, and I have to take pictures of it before I tear into it. But my batteries are recharging as we speak. Nothing prepared me for the wonderful colores of this month fiber, it's just wonderful. You'll see. And there was another surprise in the mail too. Stay tuned!
PS It's driving me crazy, that this post is so willy nilly, but that's not what I see before I click 'Publish Post", it looks all fine on my screen, but the real post is all mixed up. Sorry about that.

16 comments:

Sue J. said...

Breathtaking colors in your post, Monika. I am so glad you recovered from the dreaded blog blahs. I love Fall, too. What an adorable picture of the pup with the yarn. And your Dickie is great, especially on your perfect model. Very nice.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Gorgeous pictures of Fall foliage! I don't think you're going to get back your neck warmer - Sam likes it too much! I can't wait to see what the postman delivered!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I really like the color of the dickey, lovely! You're right about Fall, it's gorgeous here.

Anonymous said...

Your yarn looks gorgeous wound in a cake like that. Honestly, what do you see? Beautiful!

I love that Beethoven Dickey! And too funny Sam can taste it, but I guess so, if it was dyed with that. Never though about it.

Pretty pictures! and I've just realized I've run across you a kazillion times on Ravelry but didn't put your name together w/Smoking Hot Needles. Duh.

Bea said...

Ok, for a second, I thought that little dog was a real dog, and I thought "That is a BIG ASS ball of yarn!" Silly me. It is beautiful, and I love how it looks skeined up. I love the color of the Beethoven Dickey, it's so vibrant, it looks like the Malabrigo I used on Robby's Tomten!

Anonymous said...

beautiful colours!
i took my sister up to alginquin park, the colours there, and on the way, were stunning! they don't come like that in switzerland.
so glad to hear that you have recovered from the blog-blahs!

Anonymous said...

I just love, love, love the color of the tumeric dyed yarn. And using it for a dickey is a brilliant idea.

Debi said...

I LOVE Sam in the dickey!! That is just too cute (and a cool looking dickey!)

Anonymous said...

I love the turmeric dickey on Sam!! and your newly spun wool is a beautiful combination of colors.

Teresa said...

Hehehe..the Sam dickey is adorable. He looks very regal in it. I'm liking the colors in the skien there. It's just beautiful. I've realized just how much yarn it takes to make a hat! I've got the blog blahs lately. I think I've just got the overall blahs lately. I so need to do something fun. :D

Anonymous said...

That yellow stuff is the only thing that messes up my fall. The yard is full of it - I can see it out the window right now...mocking me.

Reckless Glue said...

wow it is amazing that you dyed that with tumeric...so vibrant!

Life's a Stitch said...

Your blog blahs don't show at all!
Li

hakucho said...

Wow, your turmeric dickey is beautiful. I'm a turleneck girl...my neck is always cold in the winter without one. Now I have another thing I need to knit.....

T-Mom said...

I love the picture of Sam wearing the dickie!

Violiknit said...

Great dickey von B! I love the turmeric color, and it suits Sam very well!