Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Socks, socks, socks .....


Jaywalker: pattern by Grumperina

yarn: KnitPicks Sock Garden, 100% merino wool, color Daffodil

needle: 2.5mm, CO 60 sts

toe up, jojo heel

I like this pattern, but it's not very stretchy. I like that there are no YO increases, which make holes and sometimes I just don't want them. The yarn was a pleasure to knit with, but the pooling bothers me a lot (this time). So, I'm not as happy with them as I could be.


Fluted Banister: pattern from Boogie

yarn: Trekking XXL color # 78

needle: 2.25mm, CO 65 sts

toe up, jojo heel

I love Trekking colors and it doesn't bother me, that you'll never get to exactly identical socks. It's always a mystery how they will look until the end and I like that. This yarn is not as soft as 100% merino, but I'm sure they will last way longer. And you can machine wash them and put them in the dryer as well and they will hold up great.


Simple Socks, no pattern

yarn: Artyarns Supermerino color # 140

needle: 4mm, CO 44 sts

toe up, jojo heel

This is superwash 100% merino wool. The leg is knit with K2, P2 ribbing. I was surprised by the outcome of this colorway. I had them in my stash for a while now and didn't know what to do with it (not another scarf please!) and I wanted to have some thick socks. They turned out nicely and where done quite fast.

None of the socks are for myself. They will be gifted to people I love.

I made them all within the last week. I did a lot of ripping also. Sometimes things just wont work out at all. I didn't work on my moebius vest, but I feel very guilty about that. I need to finish it soon, just to free myself for other things.

This is a one time shot. They are allowed on the couch by invitation only and it never happened before that both of them felt the need to relax in style. Right after the shot they fell asleep and snored like lumber jacks.

16 comments:

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

i LOVE that yarn that they jaywalkers were knit in! what a lovely, lovely yarn and colourway.
you're socks are superb.
i wouldn't feel guity about the vest... you've clearly been busy with other things.

Strickfimmel said...

Boah, da warst Du aber superfleißig!!
Alle Socken sind superschön geworden, gefallen mir ausgesprochen gut.
Das Bild von Biko und Sam ist richtig süß, die beiden sehen auf dem Sofa aus wie Zwillinge. So ein schöner Schnappschuß gelingt einem nicht oft.

meg said...

love all your socks especially the simple socks. that colorway turned out so great. i keep coming back to look at them.

fabulous picture of the dogs. such beauties.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! You have been busy - I feel so very slow when I compare myself to you. I made a pair of Fluted Banister socks out of Mountain Colors Bearfoot and LOVE them. I'm probably the only one in blog world who has not made Jaywalkers. I think they will be my next socks with some Cherry Tree Hill yarn. You have done some good Socktoberfest knitting!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all your socks - I swear, you are a knitting machine! You finish projects at a positively alarming rate! I'm jealous.

Also, how do you do your short row heel? Is there a book/pattern it comes from?

Anonymous said...

I really like the color and pooling on the jaywalker socks! I'm sure who ever receives them will too. Great fall colors!

You've been busy busy busy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, but they're so cute! Like bookends.

Nice socks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, three socks in 5 days? I'm happy if i get one pair a month!Great heel, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
ich weiß garnicht welche Socken mir am Besten gefallen. Die sind spitze geworden! Jaywalker sind immer schön - das Muster ist genial. Aber die Musterung der simple socks hat was.
Deine beiden Hunde sind ja wieder der Hit!
begeisterte Grüße von Heike

Stephanie said...

Six socks in one week? That's almost knitting one sock per day, you speed demon! I love the Daffodil Jaywalker socks. So sad that Knitpicks doesn't sell that colorway anymore.

Ketutar said...

Very nice socks :-) I'm sure the receivers are going to enjoy their socks.
Sam and Biko are beautiful too :-) Nice shot :-)

Abigale said...

Wow - you have been busy - no wonder your hands have been hurting! I like that colour pooling on the Jaywalkers - and at least they're not in cotton sock yarn like mine are (it takes some time to get those puppies on and off)

The dogs look so cozy! Nice that they can hang out together like that.

Abi

Debi said...

Your pups are so precious Monika!
And all your socks are lovely!

I wonder if you would be kind enough to translate the jojo heel sometime? I went to the site and used an online trasnlator but some words were not translateable :)

Thanks!

Dipsy Doodle said...

Wow, I'm in sock heaven now - and you're probably there as well! I *absolutely* love all the socks you did, but most especially the Fluted Banister ones - I had to go to that page immediately and print out the pattern, they look awesome!
And what a great pic of your dogs, they're so beautiful, and they look like twins indeed!

Violiknit said...

Those socks all look superb! I especially love the jaywalkers (I tried a pair once, but the ankle felt tight and the heel loose...you inspire me to try them again). I love that pic of your dogs; they are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting my Jaywalkers as I read this - heh, you wanna see pooling?!?
BTW: I love your cuff - is it just a couple of garter st rows?