Sunday, October 29, 2006

Moebius Vest finished!

In the spirit of Zimmermania, I've decided to knit this moebius vest and also, because I liked the look of it. It took me almost the whole month to do it. I thought it would never end, miles and miles of garter stitch. At least the color was soothing to me. I did the back in one piece (you can do it two ways and I don't like sewing, so one piece it was). I should have made the built in I-cord, because the applied I-cord pulls the fabric in. It doesn't matter too much, because I'll be wearing this vest at home. It's soft and comfy and warm. I could have used a contrasting color for the I-cord, but decided against it. I made I-cord loops for the buttons and sewed them on. Remember the buttons? They are the "Edelweiss" buttons from the Kitchener Fair. They make this vest very "folksy". I'm so glad I'm done with this.

specifics:
pattern: Elizabeth Zimmermann's book "Knitting Around"
yarn: Berroco's Ultra Alpaca, 50% wool 50% alpaca, pea green (with yellow specs)
needle: 5mm



With the left over yarn from David's hat and scarf and this vest, I made these mittens last night. I like doing the I-cord and will probably use it quite often from now on. At first I thought I would do a more interesting two color pattern, but I need them now and not some time down the road. It was snowing today, and raining and there was a storm in between.

I had to retrieve the lid of our yard waste container. I was wandering up and down the road looking for it, the storm blowing (and giving me a face lift for free) until I found it under the car of one of our neighbors a few houses down the road. Anyway, I'm happy I have warm nice mittens now, which will felt for sure (and that is just fine). Now, I'm going to make myself a hat with these colors, not sure what though. I'm not going to start it tonight.

For Leslie: Since your comment was anonymous and I don't know how to get in touch with you, I'll insert the link for the free pattern here: scarf . But you can easily find it on the side bar, scroll down and there will be Free Patterns in orange and click the Free Patterns underneath. They are not listed seperately. Anyway, have fun knitting!

12 comments:

Martina said...

From looking at the vest I can't tell where the twist is. Is it at the back or around the arms? Brave moove doing a moebius vest! I did a small caplet and found it challenging!

hakucho said...

Your Moebius Vest is just beautiful! I love Elizabeth Zimmermann's books...very practical knitting!

Happy Knitting :)

Martina said...

Ok, I get it now!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
die Weste sieht perfekt aus - so gleichmässig gearbeitet-besonders die Kante! Das Grün gefällt mir sehr gut. Leider kenne ich das Buch nicht und kann mir den Moebius-Effekt garnicht vorstellen. Ich kenn nur diesen Moebius-Schal. Gibt´s vielleich irgendwo ein von-hinten-Bild damit ich nicht unwissend sterben muss?

LG Heike

Anonymous said...

"Knitting Around" is the only EZ book that I don't have so I'm not certain how your vest was made, but it is beautiful! She sure came up with some amazing ideas.
Also - a month for all that garter doesn't sound like that long to me!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika - das ist ja eine super tolle Weste - gratuliere - würde mir auch gefallen :-))

Liebe Grüsse Manuela

Violiknit said...

Oh, I love that vest! The buttons match it perfectly! Those mittens look great too; you made them in only one night? Wow!

sgeddes said...

That is great. It runed out wonderful! What a neat idea.

Abigale said...

Hey Monika - don't feel too bad - the i-cord edging that I'm doing on my cardigan was knitted on while knitting, not applied after - and it pulls up too...

Love the scarf pattern - shame that the yarn wasn't what you had hoped. I'm definitely going to make one of those chevron scarves with some of my handspun though - it's going to be gorgeous. Keep an eye out on my blog!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the meobeius aspect either, but it's a darn cute vest! I love the buttonhole I cord loops.

Dipsy Doodle said...

Gosh - once more you've been so busy knitting! This vest is highly amazing, very beautiful indeed and it looks every bit as cozy and comfy as you decribe it. I love the Edelweiss-buttons that you added, they give it a very special and unique touch. Great work - and the mitts are pretty too!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika vielen dank für deinen Besuch in meinem blog. Du strickst ja auch sehr schöne sachen wie ich so beim schauen in deinem blog gesehn habe. Ganz super tolle sachen. Lg Marlies