Monday, October 18, 2010

Fenced in!

After calling several fence companies, and nobody showing any interest in providing the service we needed, we asked our neighbor, who (his company) did our deck this Spring, and the garden, if he was willing to built a fence around the pool, as well as repairing one of the gates. Well, he was, and in no time at all, he and his buddy had the fence up. He laughed and said, that nobody had ever asked him before, to do this kind of fencing in, for this particular reason.
Oct 15-pool fenced in-2
Not pretty, but very much necessary. If the pups were not such dumb asses, we would not need that. We were all VERY happy to be in the garden again, enjoying wonderful Fall weather. Fun was had by all! After not being able to run around by themselves, just walking on leash, first time out they were pooped after ten minutes. Back inside, they slept for an hour, without stirring.

I love this time of year, especially when it's sunny, windy, and not too cold yet. It's also good weather for drying yarn! I've been spinning a lot the past few days, but no knitting whatsoever. There are several projects I would like to knit, I have the yarn for it, but not handy. I don't feel like knitting simple socks. I finished my faceted ribs socks though and I LOVE them.

faceted rib socks finished-1
pattern: Faceted Rib Socks by Charlene Schurch/Beth Parrott from "The little box of Socks"
yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns, House Cat, sw merino, 400yds, colorway: Siamese Dream
start-finish: September 27- October 10
faceted rib socks finished-2
As I said before, I tried several different patterns before I settled on these socks. I think it's a great pattern for handpainted yarns. I really love them. They are soft, and thick, because of the slip stitch pattern. I could have made the leg a little longer, but I was afraid of running out of yarn, so I'd rather made it shorter. I sure hope they will last a while, being merino socks and all.
faceted rib socks finished-3

***
If you are a member of Spinning Awesome Good group on ravelry, you probably already know, that it's Shelby's birthday today. She's celebrating with the group members, by having 20% off in her Etsy shop. For details go to the group and read up.
***
Valerie of Wandering Cat Yarns has bought some of my handspun yarn, received it on Friday, and already transformed one skein into this lovely beret! How cool is that?
***
Last Friday was duct cleaning day. Talk about invasion of privacy! I'm glad it's done though, but I'm really getting sick of having strangers in the house.

Well, that's it for today.
***

15 comments:

2paw said...

I am glad Harpy and Denny are safe and that you have such a nice neighbour with a sense of humour. Nice that they are worn out quickly, but I don't think that will last!!
Your socks are so lovely, I think the pattern is really great, the colours stand out and they do look nice and thick!!
I am glad I don't have to have my ducts cleaned, it sounds very invasive!!!

susannasplace said...

Böse Hundemama! .... Wissen die armen Jungs, wie Du über sie denkst??? :)))

Die Socken sind ein Traum. Ich muss mal nach dem Muster schauen.

Liebe Grüsse
Susi

Knatolee said...

LOVE the socks!! And the fence made me laugh. :)

Michelle said...

It's interesting how a lot of contractors pick and choose what kinds of jobs they want leaving some people with no one to do a job for them. Those socks are so pretty. Love the colors and the texture looks really nice.

TracyKM said...

I really like the socks. I have a lot of really old Patons sock books that use slip stitch knitting to create coloured patterns; maybe some of those would work well with these yarns.
Have you ever considered getting one of those pool covers that are rigid, and you can even walk across? The dog issue is one reason we're going with an above ground pool, hopefully next summer!

philogirl said...

Nice socks. In California pools must be fenced so children don't drown. Even if the yard is fenced the pool should be fenced off too.

Soon the house will be done. :)

Virginia G said...

I'm reading. I'm glad they're safe.

I'm going back to bed.

Susan said...

Oh, I love your faceted rib socks!! I will have to make some of those myself one of these days.

We fenced off our garden area for years using the plastic snow fencing and rebar. It worked great until Bentley the Dachshund arrived. He just pushed his head under the fence and slithered right in. So we had to install a real fence then.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the socks!

Anonymous said...

Monika
I LOVE those socks!
MargieInMaryland

Laurie said...

Beautiful socks! Here in Ohio, yards with pools are required to have a 6' fence to keep kids out. I remember the great disappointment all the kids in my neighborhood felt when someone put in an inground pool...and immediately after the first fence in our subdivision went up. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous socks!!! Love the color!

Walden said...

Another good reason to be on good terms with your neighbors!

The socks look lovely!

Life's a Stitch said...

The socks go well with the paving bricks and pool colours.

hakucho said...

Love your faceted ribs socks! Perfect pattern for the yarn :)