Monday, October 06, 2008

Little Sky

I was hopping into my LYS Serenity Knits the other day, it was last Friday, to be exact, not that it matters. I can hear my son say, "Get there faster!", which is a private joke, one you might understand, if you watched "Friends" as much as we did. It's a Joey thing. Anyway, I needed another circular needle, to give the Nightcap another try. Since I'm casting on fewer stitches, they didn't fit on the other circ I already had. I'm seriously considering getting one of these, because really, I never have the needle the size and length I need it. Thinking about it.
Alright, I'm not always finding exactly what I want/need at my LYS, but the Ladies sure do try. This time I was lucky though, and not just in one way.
The owners Beth and Karen, always nice to talk to gifted me with this new sock yarn, meant for my daughter. Thank you!

Well, the ball band says you need three balls for one pair of socks. What could I do with one ball? After dismissing several options I settled on baby booties. They can still be for my daughter some day, not that she's in need of them right now. :o)

I was looking through patterns on ravelry, when it hit me, that there were Baby booties in Cat Bordhi's "New Pathway" book. Of course! I always wanted to give them a try. So I started with Lesson sock number 1 in the book: Little Sky socks!


You know I love Cat's designs. They were such fun to knit. The yarn is a fun yarn too. I can see myself wearing a pair of socks around the house. They are fuzzy, very soft and warm. While knitting them I thought it would be nice to knit a baby sweater with this yarn too.


The yarn is made of 39% new wool, 61% Polyamide. One ball is 50g/125m, and you should use 3-4mm needles. I used 4mm DP. Boy the first round was hard. I have only 4mm metal DP's and they slipped out of my grip, and through the loops more than once. But after that is was fun, and easy. It also says on the ball band, you can wash it in the washing machine and even put it into the dryer.

It took not quite half the ball for these babies, so I will knit another pair soon.

Oh, did I mention it's called "Regia Softy Color"? The only off-putting thing here would be the prize. With $ 9.99 + tax a ball, it's a bit pricey for me. A pair of socks would be over $ 30. On the other hand I imagine they would keep longer than 100% merino wool socks.
In any case, thank you Beth and Karen for providing me with yarn to have fun with! :o)
*
BTW: I can't decide what project to take for my trip to Austria. What would be a good one, for travelling, sitting at the airport etc.? Any experience? Any ideas?

22 comments:

DAWN said...

Well, those are just adorable. They remind me of socks a Dr. Seuss character would wear.

Kelley said...

Those are fun socks!

As for the trip knitting: I agree with Elizabeth Zimmermann: bring lace, something simple that wads into a teeny-tiny ball and has an easy repeat.

CelticCastOn said...

soooo cute! They will keep a little tots feet nice and cosy

lexa said...

They are very cute and look nice and warm! Too bad that three skeins are required for an adult pair -- the price is a little up there. I bet they'd be great socks for winter!

Angelika said...

How generous of your shop to give you such an expentive ball for free, but we all know what the catch was. They look really toasty. Lace is always good for travel, just make sure you don't try to stab anybody and they'll have to take the needles away.;)

Anonymous said...

I know you just finished three gorgeous scarves, but I always found scarf knitting to be just about the perfect travel knitting. Compact and neat - not a lot of yarn or bulk to worry about.

Hope you have a wonderful trip :)

shannon said...

take more than one project, is my advice. nothing that requires too much concentration.

love the booties!! they could be big tow warmers for some of us. LOL

sharon said...

sweet little socks and when it's gifted yarn, it's even better!!!
I agree with the scarf or lace knitting option - nothing with too much colour changing, but at least 2 projects- if not 3

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Lovely little socks!

Anonymous said...

Those socks do look comfy! I'm sure you'll find some little feet to put them on eventually.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Those little booties look so soft and cute!!! No pressure indeed - LOL

I always take socks on airplane trips. But I knit the dove shawl one year and that worked well because the mohair/silk is so lightweight to carry and the pattern was just right - not too much consentration yet engaging.

Otherwise, I might be tempted to take a really fabulous skein of yarn and knit up a scarf. Maybe sifting sands....

Anonymous said...

They really are adorable.

I'm always tempted by those Addi's but I use so many different needles all the time that it seems inpractical for me. But they might work fabulously for you.

Bring more than one project. Something portable and semi mindless. It's hard to concentrate while trying to listen to the airport announcements.

Anonymous said...

socks! always socks.
the plain vanilla kind. then you can knit and people-watch at the same time.
i knit them on two short circs and have never had a problem with them.
when are you off?
take care, helga

Beverly said...

Looks like the perfect yarn for house socks. Longer wearing and fluffy and cozy.

Anonymous said...

Give me a LYS like that!

What a lovely little socks. They look so soft and comfortable.

About your trip: Take a project on bamboo-needles with you (like socks or something) and take an already adressed and stamped envelop with you in case you are not allowed to take it on the plain with you. You can send it to you own home. Otherwise they just throw it in the bin.

I have heard from several people in the Netherlands that they were not allowed to take their knitwork with them in the plane so my advice is not a joke!

I have some new pictures of the pups by the way. I will send you some later today.

Cloudberry said...

They are so adorable!

Frieda said...

Love those itty bitty socks , so cute ! As you say though , the yarn is a bit pricey.

Take more than one project along , I'd say socks and a shawl . It seems to me that you knit things up fairly quickly so one project may not be enough.Though, running out of knitting does give you an excuse to buy more yarn right. Like we need an excuse ...

Mariella said...

Oh you are tempting me with that lovely yarn. How nice to see it knit up and I can just feel the softness. Really cute little booties!

hakucho said...

Those baby booties are adorable. I'm looking for that type of sock yarn for a Christmas gift. I've been looking around here and have yet to find a soft and fuzzy yarn suitable. Now that I have a name I'll starting checking harder. Sure hope I can find a better price though :)

Anonymous said...

I just watched the very last episode of Friends tonight. I was addicted, they showed the whole series this year and I have been glued to it. Oh My God Chandler Bing!!! RoseRed has just knitted some tiny socks from this book, I just saw them!!!

Cecie said...

nein, wat süss!

(die regia soft is trotzdem indiskutabel ;o)

Kris B said...

Those are so cute and look incredibly soft. As for traveling I usually take socks or whatever I'm working on.